MDM Escapes to Mexico City!
Mexico City (aka CDMX: Ciudad de Mexico) is really having a moment right now, and it’s easy to see why. It’s a vibrant and dynamic city full of culture, colors, music and delicious food.
The city is known for its art and architecture and is home to over 150 fascinating museums and world-class art institutions. While I loved visiting some of these museums including the Frida Kahlo Museum and the National Museum of Anthropology, I must admit that I went for the food. While there, eat ALL the food, whether it’s from an off-the-beaten-path taco joint or if at one of the gourmet restaurants that rank among the world’s best. Don’t forget to finish your meal with churros. The food alone is enough reason to plan a trip here. Trust me.
Also make sure to set aside some time to get lost in some of the quaint and charming colonias (neighborhoods) and admire all the architectural gems, beautiful gardens and historic mansions. From hip La Roma to artsy Condesa, each neighborhood has its own aesthetic and appeal.
With direct (and short) flights from most major cities in the US, it’s super easy to get here. This makes it the perfect option for a long weekend getaway full of culture and fun!
While there, I toured some of the best hotels in the city. Book through MDM for exclusive perks and VIP treatment!
Four Seasons Mexico City
Even though Four Seasons Mexico City is located on Paseo de la Reforma, Mexico’s grandest old boulevard, it feels like a relaxing retreat in the middle of the hustle and bustle of the city. The charming colonial-style building that houses 240 deluxe rooms is set around a lush and beautiful inner courtyard. The hotel also has a small rooftop pool, two restaurants, two lounges, a spa and on-site boutiques.
What MDM loves-
- The beautiful and tranquil garden courtyard! The inner courtyard is surrounded by lush jungle greenery, strings of lights, fountains, and many different little sitting areas. This was the perfect place to relax and unwind after a busy day of exploring the city!
- The location! It’s located in the posh Polanco district and only steps away from some of the best areas in town, including Chapultepec Park. A lot of the major sights and best restaurants are within walking distance, as well as the trendy neighborhoods of Condesa, Polanco and Roma.
- The gastrobar, Fifty Mils, which was awarded as one of the 50 best bars in the world! You definitely need to visit this living-room style bar and lounge and try one of their creative craft cocktails. It’s famous for mixology and you’ll be blown away by the presentation!
- The quintessential Four Seasons service and hospitality. The concierge and staff were so amazing and friendly. They provided some great tips and recommendations, and even hooked us up with a special meet and greet after the Lucha Libre show!
St. Regis Mexico City
The St. Regis takes the crown for the most luxurious place to stay in Mexico City. This 189-room hotel stands 31-stories tall in the city skyline overlooking the Paseo de la Reforma in the heart of Mexico City. It provides its guests with the highest quality level of service, including butler service. It also offers seven unique restaurants, a spa with an indoor pool overlooking the city, a Children’s Club,
What MDM loves-
- The butler service! St. Regis Butler Service is a treasured hallmark of the St. Regis experience. The butlers offer discreet and personalized attention 24 hours a day. No request is too small, no matter the hour of day or night! They will help with packing and unpacking, garment pressing, beverage service, help with dining reservations and so much more. THIS is luxury travel!
- The Remède Spa is one of only two Remède spas in Mexico. Located on the 15th floor, it offers unmatched views of the city. The 10,000 sq. ft. spa has a calming ambience and elegant design. Each treatment is custom tailored to meet every guest’s specific need. I loved the indoor pool overlooking the city’s skyline!
- The rooms! They have some of the largest rooms in the city. Every room features floor-to-ceiling windows, and in most cases the views are incredible. The beds are extremely comfortable and every room has an all-marble bathroom with a separate bathtub and shower.
- The high-tech conveniences. Just about everything electronic in the room can be manipulated by the bedside control panel, including the lighting, A/C, drapes, television, and an option for privacy. The marble bathrooms also have in-mirror TV screens. Techies will appreciate the state-of-the-art technology!
Las Alcobas Mexico City
Las Alcobas is a 35-room boutique hotel in the upscale Polanco area of Mexico City. The décor of Las Alobas is sleek and calming, with the modern design incorporating natural materials. You can tell by the bedrooms and bathrooms, that they value comfort over frills. The hotel also has two restaurants and the exclusive Aurora Spa for guests.
What MDM loves-
- The complimentary minibar and snacks! While alcohol is extra, there are a generous amount of sodas, Mexican snacks and candy included in the room.
- The bathrooms. The staff here described the shower as a “human car wash”, with eight different water outputs and three sets of volume and temperature controls. Each bathroom also has a deep soaking tub with hydrotherapy jets. The assortment of handmade soaps and all the bath products are custom-made.
- The beds. It’s all about comfort! All the beds have memory-foam mattresses and goose-down bedding. Unfortunately I didn’t get to spend the night in one of these beds, but I could tell just be sitting on it that it would definitely provide a good nights sleep!
- Personalized service. Butler service is available to each guest and they will provide assistance during your stay in Mexico City.
- I also want to note that Las Alcobas was rated #1 in guest service satisfaction for all Marriott properties worldwide in 2018!! That’s a big deal!